My mom is admittedly not a big fan of cooking. I always cooked with my dad growing up and my mom GLADLY passed on the cooking duties to us, but there are a few select dishes she LOVED to make. One of those dishes is potato salad and it's her specialty! She makes enormous batches for cookouts and barbecues and parties and it's always a big hit! The key to this potato salad - the crunch. It has plenty of crunchy little bits with the celery, onion, and radishes that are a nice variation in texture from the soft potatoes and creamy dressing.
*Disclaimer: My mom insists that the hard boiled eggs are crucial in this recipe. I'm not a fan of hard boiled eggs so I left them out and it was still PHENOMENAL. Add them if you like hard boiled eggs in potato salad!
Mom’s Potato Salad
Makes 8 cups of potato salad
Total Time: 50 minutes
10 redskin potatoes (or other types of potatoes)
3 celery stalks
1 white onion
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp salt
A sprinkle of paprika
(optional) 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1. Rinse potatoes and boil in a large pot of water over high heat until fork tender, about 30 minutes.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, chop celery, onion, and radishes into small pieces. Mix together mayonnaise, milk, mustard, and salt.
3. Pour potatoes into a colander and let cool for 5 minutes. Peel the skin off of the potatoes. Cut potatoes into large 1 inch chunks.
4. Mix together all ingredients and season with more salt if desired. Let cool in the refrigerator before serving.
5. Sprinkle paprika on top and enjoy!
Sprinkle with paprika and you've got a perfect side dish for any barbecue or cookout!