Berry Apple Crisp is my all-time favorite non-chocolate dessert! I have dreams about my fiance's Great Grandma Daniel's Apple Crisp recipe, which is delightfully autumnal with apples and cinnamon. What's a girl to do in the summertime? Throw in some berries! Strawberries and blueberries taste like summer to me, and with the addition of bright lemon zest and honey, this dish is transformed into the perfect summer cookout/picnic dessert!
Makes 10-12 servings
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
5 Fuji apples
16 oz strawberries
6 oz blueberries
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp honey
1 cup flour
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1. Grease a large baking pan (at least 9 x 13) and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Peel, core, and thinly slice apples. Slice strawberries.
3. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon.
4. Mix apples, strawberries, blueberries, lemon zest, honey, and half of the brown sugar mixture and pour into the greased pan.
5. Mix white sugar, flour, salt, and baking powder in a separate bowl. Mix in one egg with a fork until the mixture is uniformly crumbly.
6. Pour crumble topping over fruit. Top with the remainder of the brown sugar mixture, followed by the melted butter.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Serve cold or warm with a dollop of whipped cream.