Who doesn't love quesadillas? Warm, cheesy, finger food... a lot of my favorite things. You can get creative with quesadillas too! I happened to have sweet peppers, onions, and chicken but you could also use bell peppers, jalapeños, or beef! Or other things! The chili powder and cumin seasonings give it a distinct Mexican flavor and the cream cheese makes the filling extra gooey and wonderful. Have fun with the fillings and serve with chips and salsa, guacamole, and sour cream and you've got an easy and delicious dinner!
Makes 2 quesadillas
Total time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (( Healthier Ingredient Substitutions ))
2 large tortillas (( 2 large whole wheat tortillas ))
1 chicken breast, cooked and chopped
3 sweet peppers
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (( 1 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese ))
1/4 cup onions
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened (( skip this ))
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt (( salt to taste ))
1. Dice peppers and onions.
2. Saute in 1 tsp olive oil until the onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Mix chicken, peppers, onions, and seasonings to coat the ingredients evenly.
4. Mix in softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. (( Skip cream cheese for healthier version ))
5. Spread chicken mixture on half a tortilla and fold the tortilla over the chicken mixture.
6. Warm over medium heat until the tortilla is golden brown and the cheese melts, about 2 minutes on each side.
7. Cut into thirds and serve with chips, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. Enjoy!